Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Belga Cafe

So I went to Belga Cafe Monday night to meet a friend.....I frequent this cafe at a rate of 2-3 times per month. I've always been a fan of Belga, it's simple, fancy but not quite, moderate prices and very close to where I live. I met chef Bart during his stint as the Embassy of Holland resident/executive chef. The dining room is neat with exposed brick walls, modern decor yet homey. 9 times out of 10 I can be found dining or drinking at the bar; a beautiful dark grey granite top with about 12 seating. The bar serves a huge selection of Belgian Beers and other imported favorites, great cognac and armagnac collection as well as whiskey and bourbons.
Chef Bart van Daele has been pretty hands-on in creating a simple, yet sophisticated menu with great fish selections as well as a couple of steaks. The appetizers are great, especially the chicken and crab "cigars" (eggrolls)......an Asian touch within an updated Belgian cuisine menu that serves 7 (seven) choices of mussel preparation. Among them are prepared with Belgian beers as well as a traditional garlic and white wine preparation.
This time I came to meet a friend for a drink; my usual beverage of choice is a 1998 Chateau Simard Bordeaux. I also decided to have the Foie de Canard, a smoked duck liver similarly presented as Foie Gras and as always it never disappoints. The texture is not as creamy as a Foie Gras, but the smoky flavor and velvety texture goes very well with the Bordeaux.
On other visits I've tried almost everything else on the menu such as the Beifstuk met Friets, Steak and Fries, Zeebars (Seabass), Heilbot (Halibut).........all are very well prepared. Simple, yet flavorful and consistent.
I tend to stay away from chicken dishes at any restaurant........typically an afterthought to please most customer base.
I keep coming back to Belga for its consistent preparations for simple Belgian cuisine, which to me is more like comfort French Cuisine.


Belga CafĂ© • 514, 8th Street, SE • Washington DC • Tel. (202) 544 0100 • Fax (202) 544 0204
Pricing: $50-65/pp includes starter and meal with either a glass of wine or beer. Tax and tips not included.

No comments:

Post a Comment